Monday, May 2, 2016

Journey, Day 22 ... Pretending is better than cranky

Today I’m remembering one time I’m quite sure God spoke directly into my brain.  Let me share it … Sometimes I just don’t feel like listening or thinking or even being nice. So what does God want from us on our cranky days?  

One particular headache filled morning, I was waiting in a coffee house to meet someone who had called to see if I had time for her. She was 20 minutes late.  I began writing a list of things I would rather be accomplishing, when I took a minute to just stop and complain a bit to God.  His thoughts?  “You’re really going to have to work at making her feel welcome into your time.  This isn’t all about you, Jan."  

That was not what I really wanted to hear. Actually if our prayers aren’t convictingly annoying now and then, I think we’ve forgotten how to listen. Anyhow, when she finally walked in, I pretended to be calm, happy to see her and eager to listen.  Before long the most amazing transformation took place!  I actually became calm, happy to see her and eager to listen.  After nearly 2 hours, I had a new young friend, and my life was, once again, richer. I love that God does stuff like that!

So here are a few thoughts for your journey today:  
1. Remember to listen when you pray, and
2. Obey, even if what God brings to your mind is not what you were hoping for and even if you need to begin by pretending.

I'm not saying to bring something phony into a situation.  I’m saying to step up and act like Jesus in the confidence that he will change your efforts into the genuine article.  
If we wait to act until it feels good … well then it’s all about us, isn’t it?  

“LORD, some days trying to be like you is really hard for me.  Thank you for loving me even through cranky days.”

No comments:

Post a Comment