Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Journey, Day 31 ....It's ALL HIS!!

Psalm 24:1  The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it,  
the world, and all who live in it.

The first verse of Psalm 24 reminds us that everything - from the greatest to the least of all creation - belongs to God.  Imagine if we were to write this verse on everything we possess.  I’m thinking there might be some possessions we wouldn’t want to keep to ourselves and others we wouldn’t want to keep at all.  If the earth and everything in it is mine to use but  not to own, I might want to ask what God’s purpose is for giving me access to the things in my home, my office, my car … Take my phone, for example.  If it actually belongs to God, will it change the way I use it?  Will I be more likely to bless others and less likely to gossip?  I might wonder why I have so much while others are in need, and it might dawn on me that God does not give us wealth so that we can be wealthy!  God entrusts wealth to people so we can share it.  How do I go about doing that?  Remembering who actually is LORD of everything is one way to gain healthy perspective on the things we own.

What if we could see this verse written on God’s magnificent creations?  Trees, lakes, flowers … would we care for the world differently?  What if God’s name was written in the sky above a flowering desert or a magnificent snow-capped mountain?  Would wonder and worship come more naturally to our minds? How different everything looks when we remember to whom it all belongs!  How would it change the way I appreciate food and drink?

Now, what if this verse surrounded every human being?  Our children are God’s.  Our spouses and parents and friends … HIS.  Even that person who drives you nuts is God’s own child.  The guy asking for a handout on the corner as well as the teenager texting at the stoplight.  His.  

This is more of a challenge than it might first appear.  Be open and imaginative in your prayer today.  I wonder what brand new thought will occur to you!

LORD God, Creator of everything.  I am humbled to walk on your created earth among your created beings, and to know that I also am yours.  I ask for a glimpse of your glory today
in your creation.  Thank you, thank you.”









No comments:

Post a Comment