Friday, May 6, 2016

Journey, Day 26, HEART TROUBLE

Good morning Journey partners.  I’ve got a question for you.  How’s your heart?  
One thing we all have in common is occasional heart trouble. I don’t mean irregular heartbeat or another physical anomaly.  I mean we get worried, anxious, sad.
Twice in John 14 Jesus tells his friends, "Don't let your hearts be troubled." He isn't suggesting it.  This is an imperative.

I don't know how to do this. How do I watch the NEWS and not have my heart troubled?  Some days the heartbreak just keeps walking into my office or calling on my phone.  Texting.  Hugs at church linger ... and then the sobs begin.  I'm sorry ... I get troubled.  Lord God, I get troubled!

But I am happy to deduce that this is not a failing. In fact, it might be the best way I know to be like my Master. I cry, and hug, and listen. But here’s what I need to remember, and chances are it won’t hurt you to be reminded either … Jesus doesn’t just say “don’t,” he tells us what to do instead.  Check this out.
John 14:1 ...Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." ... Jesus goes on to speak unreasonable hope.
John 14:27 ...Don't let your hearts be troubled, and do not be afraid." Jesus breathes confidence into his friends.

Jesus isn’t saying “don’t care.”  No, he fully expects our hearts will break for others.  But he says … DON’T LIVE THERE!
Perhaps it’s easier to read, “Don’t let your hearts STAY troubled … TRUST ME!”  “Don’t let your hearts STAY troubled …Don’t be afraid … I’ve got it.”

As you journey today, think of those about  whom you care. Perhaps your heart will be troubled. Then firmly and gently give your dear one to God and remember to trust and not be afraid.
This is intercession at its best.  You can do this.

“LORD Jesus, we will care for your children!  We will rejoice with their successes and weep with their losses, in your name.  We DO trust that you will take the burdens and carry them.  Help us to love without being afraid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment