Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Journey, Day 10 ... Shalom as evidence

Today let's think about the word SHALOM and what Jesus understood that to mean.  In the book ONE.LIFE by Scot McKnight he says that peace should not be a goal.  Love is always our goal.  But those who love find Shalom (peace), and those who refuse to love will not.  Shalom is an atmosphere that is supposed to pervade Kingdom life.  It is the effect of love being lived out.

According to McKnight, there are some simple things Jesus would have understood as shalom.  The first one caught my attention:
*When you have what you need and need what you have

Shalom is evidence of love being lived out. How does having stuff you don't need mess with your shalom?  Can we actually experience Shalom if we are owned by our stuff?

Today as you journey, begin with thanks.  Thank God for what you see and hear, touch and taste and smell.  Then think about what you actually need today.  It's surprising how short our actual need list is most days!  I have no idea where God will take you with this, but I'd love to hear!

"LORD Jesus, I notice you never needed time off to go take care of your stuff.  How can I follow you well when I am weighed down by so many possessions?  Teach me the difference between a thankful heart and just being selfish."

No comments:

Post a Comment