Saturday, April 16, 2016

Journey, Day 6 On being GIFTED

Sometimes the best, most humble-sounding cop-out a person can use to get out of doing what they know they should do is to say (humbly, of course) "I am just not gifted in that way."  Sometimes that remark is true, but I think we need to talk a bit about what it means to be gifted

I love to be gifted. At Christmas I am gifted by my family. Frequently I am gifted by my husband. Unfortunately many Christians have changed the word gifted to mean "what I am"  or "how I am more special than others" instead of "what I have been given." God gives gifts as he pleases to whomever he pleases. There is no pride involved in noticing the gifts God gives!  You are the recipient.

Being gifted simply means that a gift has been designated for me. My name is on the gift tag. What the Giver desires is that I open the gift, love the gift, say thank you and use it. Each of us has been gifted.  That means you.  

So, what's yours? This is not necessarily the same as what needs to be done. (We all need to chip in with what just needs to get done.)  Let's say you have been given the very specific gift of teaching. Then teach!  Find a way to make it a priority and teach to the glory of the Gift-Giver!

Today I'd like to stir the pot a bit. What is something God has gifted to you? Do you use that gift, or have you completely insulted the Giver by putting it back in the box...on a shelf. FIND a place to play with your gift, that's the reason it was given! As you journey today, ask God to remind you about how and why he has gifted you.  For some of you this will be a brand new thought!  Let this be a wonderful discovery about yourself.  Celebrate it.  Share what you learn ... we're not done with this idea...  

"LORD Jesus, please bring to mind any gift you may have given me that I have overlooked. Remind me that you give gifts so that your children can give them back to you by giving them to a needy world. Please remind me today of all of my resources.  Thank you for trusting me!"



No comments:

Post a Comment