Saturday, April 23, 2016

Journey, Day 13 ... like one speaks to a friend.

(Ex 33:11) "The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.

Let me share a profoundly simple, perhaps ridiculous, moment of "Oh my God!" (love those!)  I love a good, solid theological discussion now and then, but sometimes my own brain gets in the way of me actually listening to God. I find God to be most intimately near when I am most childlike.  

As I was trying to get my miles in last night, I walked by the most beautiful hibiscus flower, next to somebody's mailbox.  Seriously ... one of those things that calls you to a second look.  Deep orange and yellow. Delicate. I heard myself ask (right out loud) ... "Oh my God, did you see that flower?"  I began to laugh ... fully convinced that Jesus was enjoying the ridiculous question as much as I was, so I prayed on ...   "Did you think that one up at the beginning or have you been working on some botanist to bring about such a magnificent flower?"  What followed was such pure and FUN worship.  Even remembering it brings a smile to my face. Conversation and admiration and laughter!!  HOLY time.  Worship on my journey, slowing but not missing a step.

How simple minded do I sound?  Perhaps that's the key to worship that is filled with God and not muddled with me and my words.  Jesus had to have had fun conversations with his friends while on earth.  Things had to have struck him funny sometimes.  What could be more wonderful than just hanging out, laughing, and enjoying the Spirit that surrounds us with the presence of Jesus as we drive and shop, garden, work, exercise?  I don't do well when worship is too contrived ... I get distracted.  But God as friend? 

Here's a wonderful ancient thought. (Ex 33:11) "The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend."  I always thought that was because Moses was so special ... maybe not. (No disrespect to Moses) Maybe it was because God initiated friendly conversation when he found someone who would listen ... who could hang out and enjoy his presence. AWESOME thought ... that God walked with me today, speaking to me as one speaks to a friend.  Makes me laugh and cry all at once.  Worship just flows.

Not only does God love us ... apparently he likes us.  :)  Think on that for a while.  Journey well!

"LORD, God Almighty!  Jesus told his guys that if they didn't approach the Kingdom as children they just wouldn't get it.  I want to try that.  Help me Father to totally enjoy your company!"

No comments:

Post a Comment