Thursday, April 14, 2016

Journey, Day 4, Pray continually?

I used to think this was a ridiculous little bit of advice from the Apostle Paul.
(1Thes 5:17) "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  I've changed my mind.

Think about that in light of this ... "Prayer at its simplest and in its most complex form is simply inviting God into the conversation." -jk

If a person gets into the habit of including God ... imagine the impulsive messes that could be avoided. "God, I'm angry ... please add your 2 cents worth." "I really want to tell a story that isn't my news to share. What do you think?" "Jesus, I'm so lonely! What can I do?"  "Holy Spirit,  will you show me someone who needs encouragement today, and please be really specific so I don't miss it! I really want to be like Jesus today."

Then watch and listen and wait.  It may take effort to keep your focus on this past your walk, right into the rest of your day, but that's exactly where your answer is most likely to come.  Be patient and keep expecting.

It's a compelling thought, but one we must handle with care. We need to care enough to investigate what Scripture says about God's character so we know how to listen ... who to listen for.  Keep in mind that being like Jesus includes such activity as getting alone to pray.

It makes far better sense NOT to tell yourself, "don't sin" ... but instead, "before I do anything I'll ask God his advice."  There's an old hymn with this lyric:  "Oh, what peace we often forfeit! Oh what needless pain we bear!  All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer."

"Lord Jesus, help my thoughts be more in line with yours.  I want to learn to listen and KNOW it's you."

No comments:

Post a Comment