Thursday, April 21, 2016

Journey, Day 11 ... BE STILL

The sun is painting the sky pink this morning, and everything is SO STILL! The leaves hang motionless, the air is breezeless, and for whatever reason, even the glorious noise of creation (all the honks and chirps ... even lawn mowers!) is hushed.

The whole idea of quiet keeps coming up in things I read this morning. I flipped on music and got Stephen Curtis Chapman singing "Be still and know ..." One of my favorite scriptures (Psalm 47:10). In this verse the word translated as still means to wait ... to not do anything ... stop trying. How are you at being still? My brain gives me trouble when I try.

Oswald Chambers says that "we are so filled with our own disposition that we often cannot hear God, even when we try." So true. Most of my time is spent in planning and writing and teaching, in listening to other people and trying to help them find their next step ... It takes me some time to stop my brain from being the only voice I can hear! "STOP that, Jan." THAT is what I hear today! "Be still."

Last week my MAC told me that my systems weren't running well because there were 6 necessary upgrades I needed to download. It took a while and my computer needed to just be idle and then shut down and reboot. I've been noticing changes today. Certain icons are different and certain programs are working better. What a bother, but apparently necessary.

So I'll make a clumsy attempt to pass that on to you as an analogy. To become new in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17) means that his character is being formed in me. I've already got God's character as my default (Gen. 1:27)  ... so it makes sense that I'd need to shut down and let God reboot and upgrade the program, one piece at a time until I'm a bit more caught up in how I should operate.

Is that really lame? I don't know, it's speaking to me. My prayer is for me and anyone who finds her systems running slow. I'm asking God to upgrade our systems. :)  It may require time when you're systems are off, and then a reboot.  I dare you. BE STILL.


"LORD, What have you got for me today?  I will find time to just be still in your presence."

No comments:

Post a Comment